top of page

VeloSource Resources

Clinically Active

It’s very important that you plan ahead for your career transition and that you consider your options before you give up your practice. If you wait too long following your actual retirement, re-entering the workforce may require a hands-on clinical refresher course or a preceptorship. In most specialties, you will have difficulty jumping back into practice if you have been away from clinical work for more than a year. This timeframe is shorter in some specialties. Talk with a VeloSource recruiter about using an upcoming vacation to “test drive” another work option to see if it fits your future plans.​


You will also need to stay current on your CME so you can renew state licenses and/or qualify for new ones. Requirements vary by specialty and by state. Visit the Federation of State Medical Boards website, ( select For the Public on the top left-hand side of the homepage, then select Directory of State Medical Boards in the bottom right-hand corner. This will take you to links to the websites of every state medical board. Make sure to maintain detailed documentation on all of your CME.

At VeloSource, we are finding that more and more hospitals and practices will not consider non-board certified physicians for locum tenens, or permanent positions. This means it is increasingly difficult for us to find assignments for non-board certified physicians. In addition, some state licensing boards are reluctant to issue licenses to non-board certified physicians. Our international clients also require board certified doctors, so if overseas adventure is in your plans, make sure you recertify according to the requirements of your specialty. All certificates issued by members of the ABMS (American Board of Medical Specialties)( are time limited. The limits range from six to 10 years, depending on the board and specialty.

Board Certification

Medical Licenses

Keep your state licenses, your DEA, and your relevant certificates active. Some states require that you pay all back fees when you reactivate a license. And other states view any lapsed license as a red flag and require an explanation during the licensing process. This will slow down processing of any applications you submit in the future. If you do decide to officially retire or let a specific state license go, make sure to contact the licensing board and formally cancel the license to avoid any problems.

Needed Documents

Physicians who work locum tenens and extended assignments go through an initial credentials verification process with healthcare facilities nationwide. These will be needed in obtaining licenses in additional states, required to coordinate credentialing, and help you obtain privileges.

  • Birth certificate (if born in the U.S.), naturalization papers, or proof of U.S. employment eligibility

  • Copy of undergraduate diploma

  • Copy of medical school diploma

  • Copy of National Boards certificate or other initial licensing exam scores

  • Copy of all post-graduate training certificates:

    • Internship

    • Residency

    • Fellowship (if applicable)

  • Copy of specialty board certification(s) and recertification(s) (if applicable)

  • Copy of current DEA registration

  • Copy of all state licenses, both active and inactive (your wall certificates and wallet cards)

  • Copy of state controlled substance registrations (if applicable)

  • Copy of ECFMG certificate (if applicable)

  • Copy of ACLS/ATLS/BLS/NALS/PALS/NRP/MSQA certificates (as applicable)

  • Copy of military separation papers (i.e. DD214) (if applicable)

Proper CV

There are a few simple tips that will really make a difference in the impact your Curriculum Vitae (CV) can have on a potential employer.

Malpractice Insurance

A generic term used to refer to physicians’ professional liability insurance coverage. A malpractice policy provides protection against liability that a physician may incur as a result of the rendering of—or the failure to render—medical services. A typical malpractice policy will pay: (1) the costs of investigating any claims against an insured physician; (2) the costs of defending those claims; and (3) the indemnity cost of any legal settlement on behalf of—or court judgment against—the insured physician, up to the policy limits.

A physician’s professional liability policy may be extended to include coverage for his or her corporation (P.C.), as well as employees. Unless specifically endorsed, coverage is not extended to include physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurse midwives, or CRNAs, and may not provide coverage for residents or locum tenens physicians. Most policies are written on either a claims-made or occurrence basis.

Apply Now 

Search are extensive database of Healthcare Jobs for a variety of

Locum Tenens opportunities in your area.

bottom of page